Go to Manzanillo  
    Español  |  English  
City Guide

Private Rentals
Real Estate
Shopping Craft Shopping

City info

Emergency Numbers
Tourist Info
Other Zlo Websites
Newspapers & Magazines
Forwarding Agents Automobile Dealers Advertise Here Mailing List

Main directory

Site Map

ADD your email to our Monthly Newsletter
Email: *


Applying for a Marriage License in Mexico

Getting married in Mexico


If you've just set a date for your wedding, this can be an exciting time for the two of you! Don't let the marriage license laws of Mexico put a dent in your wedding plans.

Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a Mexico marriage license.

We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your wedding date.

ID Requirements in Mexico:
If you are not a resident of Mexico, you will be asked for a Tourist Card/Visa and a valid passport. The airlines will provide you with your tourist card if you are flying in. If you are driving, you will have to get one in Mexico.

Some of the states require a certified copy of your birth certificates,that has been translated into Spanish and confirmed by your own country.

The documents will be kept, so don't bring originals.

A marriage in Mexico is legal only if it is a civil ceremony performed at a local Civil Register Office (Oficina del Registro Civil).

You can have a religious ceremony later.

Residency Requirement in Mexico:

None. If you are a foreigner and want to marry a Mexican citizen, you need to have authorization from the National Institute for Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migración).

Waiting Period in Mexico:

There is a waiting period of two to three days in Mexico. It varies from state to state. Plan extra time for getting the paperwork all arranged.

It generally takes at least 3 (three) working days to have your paperwork and documents processed.

Previous Marriages:
If you have been divorced, you need to wait a year before applying for a marriage license. You will also need a certified copy of your divorce decree or certified copy of death certificate of deceased spouse.

A blood test for RPR, and HIV and Thorax (chest) X-rays are required in Mexico. It is recommended that these tests be done in Mexico 2 days prior to your wedding.

You need two witnesses over the age of 18. Your witnesses also need to provide identification.

Weddings are not performed on Sundays.

Under 18:
Parental consent is required if either of you is under 18.

Fees in Mexico:
It will cost you approximately $200 (US Funds) to get married in Mexico.


© 2009 GotoManzanillo.com All Rights Reserved.
Diseño Web LoQueQuierasYA.com